- Chantez et vous trouverez votre chanson -

Life isn't about finding yourself.  Life is about creating yourself.
     -George Bernard Shaw

It is only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves- in finding themselves.
      -Andre Gide

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

birthday weekend

So, my birthday was on Monday.  23 years of age.  Sigh, I'm getting old.  
My actual birthday was quite crummy so I won't go into that, but the birthday weekend was full of excitement.  My younger brother and friends from home came in to visit and spend the weekend with me, which was wonderful.  I need that every so often...a touch of home and a reminder of my roots.

Only thing is, when people visit, I'm thrown into the role of Miss NYC Tour Guide.  And, though I've been living here for over 4 years, I'm still no expert, especially when put on the spot to provide fun activities and classic New York memories.

For instance, New York is full of hidden treasure restaurants and shops with unassuming storefronts...am I supposed to have innate knowledge of where they are?  Is that what will make me a true New Yorker?  If so, I am definitely not there yet.  As much as I would like to be "on the fly" about things, every time I go exploring in Manhattan and hope to happen upon some good eats (especially when with someone that expects me to direct the way), I end up walking and walking (and getting hungrier and hungrier) to no avail. 

Therefore, I plan.  I "google"; I "city search"; I "hop stop."  Does it make me less of a New Yorker?  Probably.  Do I care?  Not really.  Although, I'll admit I'm a little hopeful that someday I won't have to plan so hard for all the Pittsburghers that think I've "made it" in New York.

No comments: