- Chantez et vous trouverez votre chanson -

Life isn't about finding yourself.  Life is about creating yourself.
     -George Bernard Shaw

It is only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves- in finding themselves.
      -Andre Gide

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Angelo's Restaurant & Pizzeria

My boyfriend is Italian.  New York Italian.  Staten Island "all I know is Italian food, and I will only eat the best" Italian.

So imagine my surprise when I (Pittsburgh-raised without an Italian gene in my bones) found an Italian restaurant that met his "standards." 

Angelo's is an out of place, unassuming Italian restaurant on Main Street in the middle of a Hasidic Jewish neighborhood in Queens.  Newly renovated with glass-enclosed sidewalk seating, it's an intimate restaurant with decent prices and amazing food.

The meal begins with an assortment of garlic knots and bread, and then the real bread arrives--right out of the brick oven and topped with chopped tomatoes, herbs and garlic.  A word of advice: the bread is fantastic, but don't fill up.  No matter how many times I tell that to myself, I still eat way more than I need to.

For appetizers, I love both the Portobella alla Veneziana (grilled portobello, mozzarella, tomato, balsamic sauce) and the Frittura di Calamari alla Schizzo (fried calamari, cherry pepper sauce).  I try to stay away from fried foods, but this calamari is good, especially with the sweet and spicy cherry pepper sauce.

As for main dishes, you can't go wrong with veal here.  There's almost 10 different veal dishes, and I haven't had a bad one yet.  My favorite so far is probably the Vitello Pizzaiola (veal, mushrooms, garlic, oregano, basil, fresh tomato).  Of course if you're not a fan of fattened baby calves (I admit I can't let myself think about it when it's on my plate), you can sub in chicken on any veal dish.  Main courses come with your choice of either a vegetable or pasta; I recommend going for the vegetable.  It's often escarole, and it's really tasty.

I don't normally go for pasta dishes at restaurants since I make it so much at home-- I'm a sucker for meals that take 15 minutes or less to prepare.  But, I've made exceptions for the Rigatoni Norma (baby eggplant, fresh tomato, basil, shaved ricotta) and the Gamberoni Fra Diavolo (shrimp, garlic, spicy tomato sauce).  Both are delicious and much better than anything I could ever make myself!

The wine list here is comprehensive, and there's a fully stocked bar as well.  If I had to say one bad thing about Angelo's, I guess I'd mention that the dessert list has never thrilled me.  We always stay for coffee, but the dessert menu is a little beat up and the choices don't look very appetizing in the pictures.  On the upside, I've always been too full for dessert anyway!

Angelo's is a great spot - I've taken my family, my friends, and I've started a trend among my guy friends of bringing dates there.  My Italian food radar was clearly on when I found Angelo's.  The bf is very proud!

Angelo's Restaurant & Pizzeria
69-26 Main St.
Flushing, NY 11367
718-544-7574

Angelo's Pizza in Queens

No comments: