- Chantez et vous trouverez votre chanson -

Life isn't about finding yourself.  Life is about creating yourself.
     -George Bernard Shaw

It is only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves- in finding themselves.
      -Andre Gide

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Catching Up and Making It Count

I know, I know - it's been nearly a year since I've updated this sucker. Truth is, girl's been busy! Good thing is, I'm happy. Career life, love life, friend life...all on the up and up!

Over a year ago, I made the transition from public relations to social media marketing. What an exciting time to be in this field! It's all so new and ever evolving; some days it feels like we're making it up as we go along and other days it feels like we're riding a wave and on the brink of something big.

I work with many amazing beauty and lifestyle brands that you probably love and use often, but we're always striving to do bigger and better social campaigns, to be like the Gatorades, the Coca Colas and the Nikes of the world. In our team meeting this week, my boss shared this Nike #MakeItCount branded video and I can't get it out of my head:



It makes me feel things - I want to make it count, get up and do something and appreciate life! And, as a nice bonus, it reminds me how much I love Nike. Granted, the company has its faults, but I look past that. I love Steve Prefontaine (do yourself a favor and watch the movie, Without Limits), the story of his coach Bill Bowerman creating the original Nikes, and I love their empowering brand philosophy. I continue to purchase their sneakers, despite being told that Asics are better for runners (pssh, whatever).

And this was exactly how Nike wanted viewers to feel with the #MakeItCount campaign. The song is stuck in my head, I have a renewed drive to travel and mind is dwelling on whether I really make each day count.

The brand personality is strung right through the video, without throwing images of sneakers in your face. Nike understands that their fans love their products, but that their fans have many interests and there are many ways to reach them and talk to them.

Acting as the voice of brands and developing the content you see everyday on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Pinterest accounts, I aspire to have this kind of effect on people and I'm learning that I can't do it by talking about makeup until I'm blue in the face (I work for many beauty brands).

Overall, I just love that I'm a part of a unique and cool social media movement, and proud to write for such well-known brands. I learn more everyday and can't wait to see what we come up with next...

Until then, I'm just going to work on making each day count. :)

No comments: