- Chantez et vous trouverez votre chanson -

Life isn't about finding yourself.  Life is about creating yourself.
     -George Bernard Shaw

It is only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves- in finding themselves.
      -Andre Gide

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Makeup and the Morning Commute


I've lived in NY awhile now and I take the N train everyyy morning to work, and there's one thing that I'll never understand (actually there are lots of things I'll never understand on the subway, but that's besides the point) - the ladies who get a seat and immediately whip out their cosmetics bag and proceed to spend the rest of the stop n' go bumpy ride to apply tons of makeup.

Not just a little lip gloss mind you, I'm talking LOOSE powder, mascara and eyeliner - as in a SHARP pointed object aimed at your EYES.

I just don't get it! In my opinion, if you wrangle a seat it should be used in one of 3 productive ways:

1. reading a book
2. reading a trashy magazine
3. zoning to music/sleeping.

I can barely function on the morning train sitting still, let alone apply makeup coherently. I'd end up looking like a freak show with eyeliner streaked down my face! Not only that, but I don't really like to do my makeup in front of other people - it makes me feel like I rely on it too much and seems superficial. Maybe it's because I'm at the wise old age of 25, or maybe because I have some summer color, but I don't really care that much about having lots of makeup on for work.

I'm not judging because I remember a time when I thought I needed a full face of makeup to be seen in public (basically late middle school through high school), but that me has come and gone. Unless I have an awful breakout, I'm meeting with clients at work or I'm going out at night, I have a 5 minute makeup routine. A little tinted moisturizer, concealer, mascara and cheek/lip stain and I'm good to go.

What do you think? How much makeup do you wear in the morning and are you one of those girls that does it on the train? If you are, HOW do you manage?? You have a skill I have never acquired - props to you!

No comments: